Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Impersonal personal questions of Day #3.


Answers to Kevin's Questions (not added to my word count).

I am currently reading the book Lost in Place, by Mark Salzman. In his book he explains his dreams and aspirations, such as becoming a wandering Zen Monk astronaut. However, he is like no one else in his family, although his mother is a muscian and his father is an artist, they are in two different worlds. Mark and his father were both out watching the stars through their telescope on a hill, when his father said, "We spend most of our lives not even aware that all of that is out there! We all think we're so important, so special, but then you look up and you realize, Who do we think we're kidding? (pg. 42)" Mark on the other hand feels different, but he doesn't voice it out loud, how he views it is, "I, on the other hand, liked feeling small becuase it made my failures insignificant. (pg 42)" So far in the book Mark is more focused on his father than anyone else, and I feel as though Mark is doing this for a real purpose. He looks up to his father for inspiration, even if he is nothing but a pessimist, and even though Mark is different from his father in that way, he still relates to him in astronomy.

How I feel I fit in is different though, I get along with my family pretty well even when we're at odds. I like to think I am the odd one in my family, I've always done something to set myself apart from my other brothers. I've always been creative, like my mother, however even with my many eccentricities my brothers accept me. Although my dad seems to favorite me, I personally think he just doesn't have a clue about who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment