Monday, August 22, 2011

Letter to The Lost Boys



Dear Benson, Benjamin and Alepho





The book They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky meant a lot more to me than I ever thought it would. When we first had to decide which out of the three books we wanted to read, this was the book I was least interested in. I didn’t see myself enjoying this book, but the way you guys portrayed your story really got me into it. I especially like the way you guys switched off every chapter and told your own separate experiences. This made it seem like your book was constantly being refreshed. Every time you I got into one of the chapters, it would switch up with and change to another one of your stories, and that really kept it easy to read. It was easy for me to connect to this book too because I of the million bones fundraiser. I felt like I was a great cause because I am helping all of the people I read about in this book. This book is really special in a way because I never got handed a book and liked it. I usually have to go searching for books I would enjoy, and I’m not really into biographies, but this one was the first and only biography I have read and actually enjoyed. One of the passages in enjoyed the most was on page 260 when Benjamin arrived at Kakuma and he said, “Everybody was there. Uncle Ajak, Alepho, Lino, Peter, and Emmanuel.” This passage brought my hopes up in a way. I feel like for every bad thing that happened in this book, which is a lot, something good happened. I feel like once all of these people were reunited that the journey was complete and everyone can be happy now. Some bad incidents did happen, but the boys finally made it to peace and moved to America in the end, which was uplifting to read. Now I said earlier that this book was easy to read and it was. But one thing I thought about the whole time was how you decided to write it like you did. It seemed like there was no particular order to who came next. I would just like to know how you decided on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment