Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 6 Nikkea Response


I too am reading Sarah Vowell's "Take the Cannoli". She has a deep admiration for many people, including Frank Sinatra. I have many idols. I grew up an only child, so the only people that I could look up to were rock musicians and filmmakers...or my parents. I am guilty, just like Sarah Vowell, of going to a town where a famous musician was from and looking for the place that they lived and other places where they might have dwelled. My grandmother lived in Bothell, Washington which is about 20 minutes from Aberdeen where one famous musician lived. Kurt Cobain. I agreed to go to visit my grandmother just as long as I was promised a day-trip to Aberdeen to search for Cobains old house and any other remains of him. When I saw his childhood home, I was dissapointed just like Vowell was when she saw Sinatra's home. It was a trashy looking dump with a dead lawn and rotting wood falling off. At first, I was dissapointed. But then I began to think. Cobain's shitty child hood home was a perfect metaphor for his later music and death. Only a true tortured soul could come from a home like this. Seeing his house made me realize that we may be able to leave a certain place and start a new life somewhere, but our hearts, souls and minds will always stay there. No matter what. It's true. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment