Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Admiration


In my book, Lost in Place, by Mark Salzman, Mark in the book admires Bruce Lee in the beginning of it. I picked out Bruce Lee because that was his hero, not only someone he wanted to be exactly like, but someone he wanted to be in every way. Strong, faster, agile, and not to mention superior fighting skills to almost any Kung Fu fighter out there. Mark joins a very abusive Kung Fu school led by the most abusive prick in the book so far, Sensei O'Keefe. All he does is belittle and make fun of Mark for his own sadistic pleasure, not to mention later in the book he begins to completely loose it. "I never taught any of you guys how to cut off somebody's windpipe, he said one evening after our warm-up drills. I want a volunteer. Who'll let me knock him out? (pg. 136)" When no one took him serious he went on a rant, calling them all and I quote, "Fucking pussies". After Mike finally went up and volunteered to be knocked out, Sensei O'Keefe strangled him until he passed out, then to revive him he hit his diaphram hard and Michael woke up disorientated, and didn't even know what happened. Mark could stand the abuse O'Keefe usually gave out, but unlike Sarah, this was his final straw. He quit Kung Fu after this, his teacher was nothing like what he wanted to teach him to master Kung Fu like Bruce Lee, but still kept Bruce Lee's determination after this was all said and done.

As for myself, well I admire C.S. Friedman author of the Coldfire Trilogy. She showed, and from what I saw for the first time in a Fantasy story, the perfect mixture between sci-fi and fantasy I've ever read. Not only do I admire her writing style, but I also got a chance to talk to her as well, she gave me little tips and told me that there isn't really a line between genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment