Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reading Response: Nicole


Like you said in your question, in the book lost in place, Mark dedicates himself to becoming a Zen Monk and is willing to give up everything for his dream. All his life he has been trying to impress everyone around him. The only reason that he wanted to become a monk is so that the females would notice him and could actually maybe date him. Later on in the book, he explains what he does to himself and his body. He puts himself through rigorous training because he thinks being a monk is all about enduring physical pain. As you read, you notice that Mark’s goal in becoming a monk is not just something for fun. He takes it seriously and does whatever he can in order for him to reach his goal/dream.

I’m sure that we all have wanted something so bad that we would do anything and give up whatever in order to get what we really wanted. I remember that there was a huge bboy event called “Evolution 4” that was being held in Atlanta. Back then, I was still in high school and Evolution was a three day event, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Turns out that on that very same Friday I had a test that was worth 70% of my grade. I had to make a really tough choice and ended up sacrificing going to school and taking that test which later on killed me in the quarter. I don’t regret choosing bboying over school because that was probably the most fun I have ever had and If I had to do it all over again. I would do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment