Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 3: Eddie Response




In the book, "Take the Cannoli", Sarah Vowell is ridiculed by her family, especially her father, for being a liberal artist and musician. She comes from a long line of conservatives and card-carrying NRA members. Growing up in Montana as a liberal teenager was cleary very difficult for Vowell and she paints a vivid picture of her struggles to prove it. In her book, Vowell explains that she and her father couldn't have a conversation for years without getting into a heated argument. I too have been ridiculed for wanting to attend film school. Most of my friends back home are going to business school, but that has always seemed so mundane and boring to me. I have been told by many of my friends, family and peers that going to film school could be a huge mistake because I most likely will not recieve a high paying job right out of college. This makes me sad that some individuals can be so shallow. I have grown, however, from these experiences. I have attempted to not judge people for striving for their goals, what ever they may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment