Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Finding sarah vowell...nikkea



The book I have chosen is take the cannoli by sarah vowell. my first impression of sarah vowell is that shes a young child searching for her identity and answers as to why she's especially didnt from her family. The reason I chose this book is because first the title caught my attention. I wanted to know why its called "Take The Cannoli" and in what reference is she refering about. Secondly, I chose the book because it has comical and personal stories.
The book identifies with todays existing subjects such as identity, politics, religion, art, and history. The main character in the book Sarah Vowell battles with her identity. Being born as one half of twins, she doesnt connect with her sister who absolutely loves spending time with their father. Also, she doesnt connect with her father. Being that her father is a collecter and owner of a gun shop. Sarah and her father not only disagree about guns but their relationship has a restraint.
 Personally I can relate with how Sarah and her family are so different but in the simpliest ways their similiar. I have battled with trying to identify with my family. Ive questioned as to why I thought of things differently or how could we have the same bloodline and sour hearts be a thousand miles apart. Sarah finally finds a connection when her father builds a cannon and two strangers appear with odd facial looks. Not only do the strangers frown upon Sarah's father, but also her because of her tape recorder.
Sarah is not only in a crisis for identity at home, but also at school. She has no friends and looked down upon for being different. Sarah spends more time with learing new instruments and relating to the sounds they produce.
I think in todays time you definitely have people such as in Sarah Vowells state where they feel alone and distant from what should be the closest thing to them. Some people today arent able to cope with the fact of being or feeling deifferent from others. everyone wants to feel or be accepted. Sarah personally founnd an escape through art and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment