Thursday, August 4, 2011

Responses to the Fiery Skies


Response to DeAustin

In my book, Lost in Place, by Mark Salzman, has a character that I disagree with, however I do not struggle with any character in the book personally. The character I am talking about is Mark's own Father, his father is the biggest pessimist I've ever read about. Although I don't struggle with him personally, I disagree with him fully, especially when he says this line, "We spend most of our lives not even aware that all of that is out there! We all think we're so important, so special, but then you look up and you realize, Who do we think we're kidding? (pg. 42)" I disagree with this statement because, well, I am more optimistic. Rather than looking up at the sky (which is what Mark's Father is doing) and see nothing but wasted opportunity, I look up and see limitless possibilities.

I personally regret not playing with my little brother enough. I'm the 3rd out of 4 sons, my youngest brother is 6 years younger than me, 9 years younger than my older brother, and 12 years younger than my oldest brother. He hasn't really had the experience I had with my brothers, the real sibling experience, and because my older brother wouldn't really do stuff with me when I was little I suppose I picked up on that and treated him the same way. I regret not giving him the fun filled brother experience like I had.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response to Julia

A supporting character that comes to mind in Mark Salzman's, Lost in Place, is Sensei O'Keefe who often refers to himself as a "Kick ass motherfucker". O'Keefe took one look at Mark for the first time they met and he began yelling at him, "Well, let's get something straight, Mr. Salzman. I am the Master of this house, and in this house, I say who starts where, not anybody else, and not anybody's mommy. Is that clear?(pg. 30)" Through out that chapter, O'Keefe gave Mark a chance in his house of Kung Fu, where he trains under the leadership of O'Keefe. This is significant because of Mark's dream of wanting to be a Kung Fu Master, O'Keefe is teaching him exactly what he wants to learn, even though he is hard on him. O'Keefe doesn't appear often, but his teachings stay.

I don't really think of my friends as "supporting characters". however I do have one. She was my friend, however she showed me a lot about myself I never knew. She helped me work out my problems and I returned the favor. I wouldn't always have the chance to talk to her, even with technology being these days, however we would just play certain games just to take a load off of reality. She helped me identify my words sometimes pierce through her like a spear, and she also helped me through the toughest time I ever had. Although I never see or talk to her anymore, what she helped do I am great full for.

No comments:

Post a Comment