Monday, August 8, 2011

Repsonse day 5

Response to Mario- In the book, They Poured Fire, The government as a whole can be considered a bully towards all of the lost boys and they people in their villages. The natives of Sudan never did anything to make the government attack them. The government just assumed that since they look like people that are in a movement against them, that they are in the movement and that they should be killed. One of the main characters, Benson, mentions on page 82 that they could only stay in the village of Gumuro for one night because the government gave the villagers there guns and they would shoot at trespassers. Benson also says how the SPLA soldiers that were watching over him and all of the other kids were afraid of the villagers. The government probably did this knowing that refugees would travel through this town and it would make it a lot harder for them to get through.



When I was younger, I remember someone that gave me a hard time but never got to the point of bullying me. It was one of those classmates that thought they needed to impress everyone and wanted to be the coolest kid in class. He would mess with me all the time and it got to the point where we fought and I ended up beating him. After that we were friends, probably because he realized there was no point of trying to prove anything, and probably because I embarrassed him in front of everyone. Later on in 4th grade I started hanging out with a kid who is still my friend to this day. The kid I beat up in 2nd grade lived right by him and they hung out, so we all ended up becoming friends. We don’t talk anymore but I will always remember that, and he’ll probably remember it to.





Response to Vince- In my book, They Poured Fire, all of the children in the beginning of the book that live in Dinka, are all very imaginative. They all make games out of things I would never think of. Alepho would always talk about how he would play with his friend, Achol and how they would play house together. He says on page 15, “We built temporary structures to protect ourselves from the sun and play house in. She pretended to cook from sand and we acted as if we were eating at a table.” It’s pretty cool that these kids have enough imagination to do so much with so little, they can really make the most of what they have around them.



When I was younger, me, my brother, and my cousin would all do something similar but on a larger scale. I have a little fort in my backyard and we would pretend it was a town and we would all have different jobs. We would use rocks for money and we would pretty much use the rocks for everything. We would pretend their food. We would also make fake weapons and bow and arrows and someone would sell those to.


No comments:

Post a Comment