Tuesday, August 2, 2011

day 2 bridge blog

My first impression of Sarah Vowell's "Take the Cannoli" was very good. I can relate to her first essay, "Shooting Dad". I too come from a right-wing family with a father that enjoys hunting. Although my Dad and I connect in other ways, he sometimes expresses his anger towards my opinions on hunting and collecting guns. Sarah Vowell's sense of humor is identical to mine. I too am very dry and outspoken. On page 19, when Sarah writes, "But I remember holding the pistol only made me feel small. It was so heavy in my hand.", she reminds me of the first time I shot a gun. It was my Father's Browning Hunting Rifle and I was seven. I remember being terrified and feeling so small. Smaller than the gun itself. When Danielle was explaining the plots of each book to us, I immediately knew that I wanted to read "Take the Cannoli" because it is almost identical to my home life. Just like Sarah, however, I have grown closer with my Father as I have grown. We may not agree on certain things, but I too will "...have my father's body burned into ashes. I will pack these ashes into paper bags...I will plunge his remains into the barrel and point it into a hill so that he doesn't take anyone with him...". Because that's what he would want. He'd do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment