Tuesday, August 2, 2011

They Poured Fire on Us

The main character and narrator of this book seem like a pretty straight forward person. He reminds me of any average kid in any society. I don’t really have anything against any character; they are all portrayed as respectable people. The Father seems like a very strong person and so does his third wife. Their lifestyle seems to be based around work now and then relax after everything is done. Besides how different this culture is from my own, I can still understand why these people do what they do. One thing that bothered me a little was how they circumcised their children. They would get them alone and then they would use a blunt blade to circumcise them but they did not tell the kids what they were doing so this would cause them to think they were trying to kill them. I just feel they could have been a little more comforting about how they did this. One thing I can relate to is how the narrator is best friends with his nephew Majok, but he lived far so they never really got to see each other. My cousin and I have always been really close, but when we were younger we didn’t get to hang out. Whenever we got to hang out it would almost be like a privilege. I feel if I were to have any of the older women over for dinner that they would be very polite and might even volunteer to help out in the kitchen.





When I do read books I usually tend to read fiction book that have some kind of adventure element to them. I saw on the cover of this book that it was a true story about lost boys from Sudan. I figured it would be similar to books I like because it might have some kind of adventure in it but its non-fiction instead which is a nice little change up for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment